THINKING ABOUT GETTING YOUR LICENSE TO CARRY (LTC)
Check this page frequently for new class dates and times.
Classes are held on Saturday's once a month. Other days will be scheduled as the need arises and as requested. But you must schedule in advance by contacting the individuals involved as indicated below before showing up at the class session. All fees to participate in these classes will be paid at the class prior to instruction.
Future classes to be scheduled and posted when available.
Dates are subject to change and modification as needed
If you are interested in attending any of these upcoming classes, please register through the club’s web site. Payment will be collected at the beginning of the class.
The lecture portion of all classes will be conducted at Richard’s Cajun Restaurant at East I-10 and Garth Rd. in Baytown. We will then travel the short distance to the club’s gun range just north of Baytown and east of Crosby.
For a group (such as Churches or clubs) with a group of 10 or more participating, arrangements can be made for us to come to your facility for the classroom portion of class.
If you’re a member of the club please remember our LTC classes and refer them to friends, family and neighbors. This activity helps you and your club and provides an excellent method for the club to interact with our community and surrounding areas.
RICHARD'S RESTAURANT 4975 EAST FREEWAY (I-10) BAYTOWN, TX 77521-8564.
CONTACT INFORMATION TO SIGN UP IS BELOW.
LTCL CLASSES REQUIREMENTS
- You must be 21 years of age and a resident of Texas.
- You may NEVER have been convicted of a felony, and you may NOT have been convicted of a Class A or B misdemeanor within the last 5 years.
- You may NOT have been found by a court of law to be in default on any state or city taxes.
- You may NOT have been found by a court of law to be in default on child support.
- You may NOT be currently under a court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely affecting property interest.
- You cannot have been convicted twice within the last 10 years for any Class or Class B misdemeanor, or greater, involving the use of alcohol or a controlled substance.
LTC CLASSES HIGHLIGHTS
Monthly LTC classes are offered through the BASC Club.
Handgun proficiency test is administered
Classes only last 4-6 hours, then the shooting at the club ! !
New LTC License Rates: $80.00 for BASC Club Members or their immediate family (Spouse, Children, Siblings, or Parents) , $100.00 for Non-Members, $70 for Ladies and Teachers
Classes are held at a Restaurant and a meal would be required to be purchased by the students. Other classes are scheduled at a meeting facility and students need to bring their lunch or leave to purchase lunch at a nearby restaurant.
Our classes include everything needed except Fingerprinting.
To reserve a space in our classes - click on LTC Class date you would like and complete the on-line form.
Commonly Asked Questions:
Class Reservations and Payment:
- How do I make reservations for a class? - Decide which class meets your schedule and complete registration form. Someone will contact you to confirm current space in the date selected.
What to Bring to Classes:
What do I need to bring to class? - Everyone must bring a handgun that is in good working order. Effective September 1, 2017 there is NO minimum caliber used for the handgun Proficiency Portion of the class. All handguns are to remain secured in the student’s car until the shooting portion at the range where students will test on the shooting skills at 3 Yards, 7 Yards and 15 Yards. Handguns are available for rental for this class. A rental fee of $10 is payable to the instructor and the handgun will be a 9MM caliber Glock. Also each person needs to bring at least 50 rounds of ammo and we strongly recommend everyone bring 100 rounds in the event any part of the shooting proficiency must be repeated. Everyone must have hearing and eye protection.
- What should I wear? - The classroom will be an air conditioned room and a light jacket or sweater may be needed. Clothing should also be selected to protect exposed areas of your body from hot flying brass. And it is suggested that no open toe shoes be worn on the range.
What is included in Classes:
- We provide an instructor for the class and the required instructional materials. Shooting Proficiency will be done at the BASC Range. After leaving class everything will be ready to send after you are fingerprinted. (Photos are now used from the students Texas Driver’s License.)
- When do I take the shooting proficiency test? Immediately after the classroom session, the shooting section will be done at the BASC Range.
- What is not included? Everything provided except fingerprinting services and the money the State of Texas requires to apply for your license.
- Where can I have my fingerprints done? When completing the application on the DPS website information will be given concerning fingerprinting.
What do I need to do after the completing the class?
- Your will need to have fingerprints done after completing the online application. After the application has been completed online, and fingerprints are done, the applicant will submit the paperwork (CHL-100) provided by the instructor at the class to the Texas DPS, plus any other required documentation that the state has requested on the “checklist”.
- What is the cost to the state for LTC Licenses? After September 1, 2017 licenses are $40 and veteran = $25.
- How long does it take to get your license back from the state? It depends on the volume at that particular time - supposed to be 4 to 6 weeks.
- How soon can I renew my LTC License prior to its expiration? The state will send a note about 6 months before the license is due to expire. After September 1st, 2013 a new law states that the renewal class is no longer required, just go to the DPS web site and renew your license and further instructions will be provided to you.
Misc. Licensing Questions:
- If I already took class but did not send in my paperwork, how long after the class can these documents be submitted? The certificate (LTC-100) that the instructor supplies upon successful completion of class is valid for two year after the class date. If documents are not submitted to the state within that 2 year period, the class must be repeated.
After you have your License:
- If I get stopped by the police for any reason and have my LTC handgun with me, how should I handle this situation? The Texas Department of Public Safety advises, when stopped by law enforcement show your driver’s license and the LTC. The law says, “carry your license when you carry your gun”. It’s best practice to always carry your license and show it if any form of identification is requested.